Saturday, January 26, 2013

How to deal: getting sick


      Being in South America this past year was my first time being out of the country alone, first time traveling alone, and really being away from my family for more than a month or so. It was always a weird feeling knowing that I couldn’t just pick up my phone and call my family or friends anytime I wanted to. I am very independent, and handle most things very well by myself. However, being really sick is one of those moments when I just want to curl up in a ball and have my mom there taking care of me. Many travelers, especially those who are young and inexperienced, may get really depressed and home sick feeling while you are ill. Something about the thought that you are somewhat helpless and alone can get to you at times. 

     When I got back from Puno, I was still sick from the Ceviche, and literally stuck in my bed for about a week. Imagine laying in a bed with no T.V, and barely working WIFI for an entire week. I think that I slept more within that week than I ever had in my life. I felt hot, and freezing at the same time, my mind and body were both literally drained, and I couldn’t stop vomiting. I was so helpless, I didn’t know if I would ever feel better! One good thing about being sick in a foreign country, is that their laws on FDA approvals are much different. I ended up taking some giant pills for my stomach, that helped cure the pain in just a few days. That I’m pretty sure are really illegal in the states. The lady at the store also gave me some different teas to drink and coco leaves to help settle my stomach. I was so relieved once I was feeling better, I was scared to eat or drink anything so that I never felt that way again. 

     In reality, it wasn’t the food that made me get so sick. It was just the way my body reacted to the harsh food. If you are not born, or haven’t spent a significant amount of time in a certain place, than your stomach and the rest of your body may not have adapted to local foods and the water. This is why we’ve always heard warnings of not drinking the water in certain places, yet you see locals doing it without getting sick. There are a few simple tricks to keeping you out of germs way, and helping to build a stronger immune system. First, always boil water before drinking it, even if you are just going to refrigerate it afterwards. Second of all, never eat seafood if you aren’t anywhere near the coast. I am so used to trucks that deliver fish daily, that I didn’t even consider that eating Ceviche in the middle of the Mountains may not be fresh- but it was apparently hilarious to everyone else I told. Third, you get what you pay for. If your body isn’t used to eating street food, you probably shouldn’t risk it- even if it is only $1. These are just a few, common sense tips to keep you from ending up like poor little me, below.


XX, me as a pitiful little gypsy.

1 comment:

  1. Great tips. I'm going on my first big adventure in just four days (Peru included!) and am feeling the full spectrum of emotions attached to it. Reading your blog is helpful :)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your comments and advice !