Monday, August 5, 2013

Favorite places to crash; The Point Mancora

     After spending my first few months in Cusco, I left for Lima, but only decided to stay for about two days. Lima was a beautiful city, but much too hectic, and too much going on for me- plus I was longing for days spent taking siestas in a hammock by the pool  and night swimming in the warm ocean. So here I was, pulling into  Mancora- a small, rustic beach town in the North of Peru known for its surf and nightlife. The minute the bus door opened, you could feel the heat creeping in quickly- despite being on their already twenty hours, I was slow to make my way into the sun. At first glance  I was surprised that this "party town" wasn't anything like the "party" beach towns I was used to, but more like a tiny gravel street, lined with small stores and restaurants,  nearly the size of my Community in Jacksonville. 



     Not knowing exactly where to go, I hopped in the first tuk tuk (little three wheeled motorized rickshaw that lace the streets) and went to the Loki Hostel. There is also a Loki location in Cusco, therefore it was the only familiar hostel I saw- plus it was on the main road so I decided to give it a go. My tentative plan at the time was, I would stay in Mancora for a month or so,  hoping to find a hostel that I could work in. Walking into Loki, I had flashbacks from being 19 at Fraternity parties in Tallahassee. Some backpackers may love Loki's vibes, and tell you it was the best hostel they've been to. However, it just wasn't the pool hammock scenario I had envisioned. So that very same day, I went in search of a new hostel- that I knew had to be out there in this Peruvian paradise. 

    
     After a few hostels, I was taken down a very long dirt road away from the town, and ended up at the end of the road right before the beach to a large bamboo gate and a little sign that read "Our own little Paradise".  Alas! The Point is exactly how a beach hostel should be. Walking around the stone sidewalks, you will find guest sleeping in hammocks, lounging at the pool, doing yoga under the deck or making their way to the beach to try and catch some waves. It isn't just all lounging and relaxation though- they offer a full liquor bar, with happy hour specials daily. Where else can you get a giant Brahma beer for only 6 s./ !! Inside the hostel is also a restaurant with a variety of foods including some Peruvian specials, as well as simple hamburgers and fries. The rooms are breezy, yet still very hot- which is one of the only downfalls. You can also rent a beach bungalow for just a little more money, which are beautiful, bohemain two story private shacks right on the beach! 


     From what I sensed in my month of staying here, it tends to draw in a very like-minded and friendly group of travelers, who are all drawn to each other like an instant family, no cliques here. Most of my days when I wasn't working, were spent walking to the market to get supplies for making jewelry or lounging around by the pool reading a book. Nights here consisted of an early happy hour, leading to bottles of wine and listening to the hostel's very own musicians Yuyo and Diego, playing acoustic sets on the beach under the stars. Each week there are also themed parties, where face painting is always involved. The full moon parties here at the hostel are what draws in most of their crowd, and are the best in town. I owe a huge thank you to all of the staff, (even the bald Peruvian dog Pelo) at The Point Mancora for making it one of the most memorable months I've had- I still talk to most of the friends I've met, and plan to visit as soon as I'm back in South America:)


    For prices and booking information, visit http://thepointhostels.com/peru/mancora-beach.html

xx SLW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your comments and advice !