Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Favorite Spots: PISAC, a must see while in Cusco

If you have to pick and choose because of time and money, like myself between all of the mini magical places near Cusco- I would hands down choose Pisac. Not only was it a beautiful, clean town in the middle of no where- it was a fairly cheap ride down if you travel like a local! Which is always my favorite way to travel, not only do you pay like a tenth of the cost as tourist buses can be, I always meet the nicest people who love sharing information and hearing about you and your journeys as well.  





Getting There: We took the local but for like 2 s./ I think which can be found SE of the Plaza de Armas, if you ask for the local bus terminal, any taxi can take you here-  just make sure you don't say terminal de bus- because they will most likely take you to the main terminal that goes to Lima, etc. We were literally the ONLY tourist on this bus, and stood half of the time but thats what makes the adventure! The scenery on the way is breath taking, you pass lots of pueblos and miles and miles of green mountains. We did see a bigger bus went over the rail because it was raining out- that definitely freaked me out! I hate taking pictures of these small buses, because I hate marking myself as such a tourist, but I did manage to snap a few. I would say the bus was about an hour long; and the drivers drive WILD. So if you have a weak stomach, this isn't for you. The way home we took a taxi for about 10 s./ because it was raining so hard, and nobody trust the bus drivers. 



Perk of Pisac: The town in itself is small and very clean, and mostly revolves around the market. We went on a Sunday, which is the big market day of the week! They also have little festivals often. There is plenty of hotels, ATMS and restaurants if you plan on staying longer than just the day. My favorite veggie restaurant in Cusco, has a second location here is Pisac. For tourists, the prices in the market are about the same as in Cusco- but I found tons of jewelry and little things that I hadn't saw before. If you are good at bargaining, you can probably get a good deal! I was surprised at the amount of people who spoke English there, which is always nice as a backup when trying to bargain in a foreign language. The crazies thing we saw was a cage full of live CUY (Guinea pig) in the middle of the restaurant we were eating at, and no, they weren't pets. 

xx SLW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your comments and advice !